St Mary’s was built in 1869 at a time of rapid expansion in Walkley due to the Industrial Revolution. The urban village of Walkely replaced a hillside of farms, scrubland and coppices. St Mary’s school was built next to the church in 1871 (and moved down Cundy Street into a bigger building in the 1980’s. The old site is currently a spiritualist church and Yoga centre). The vicarage was built in 1873 (Walkley Road) and land for Walkley Cemetery was purchased in 1876 (Nichols Road off Waller Road).